Elephant Hill Day Hike
Elephant Hill day hike blends high altitude and a test for resilience. Elephant hill lies at the southern end of the Aberdare ranges. The trail here is one of the toughest, but also one of the most rewarding. The trail starts at the Njabini forest gate and takes you through a planted forest up to a starting point that lies about 3km from the gate. From there you proceed through a gentle climb on a wholly paved path up to Bamboo gate. From here it’s a steep ascent through a dense bamboo forest whose canopy makes it impossible to see beyond a few hundred metres in all directions.
The end of the bamboo zone brings you up to Desperado point, named so because many hikers give up at this point. From here you enjoy scenic views of the surrounding areas which include Mt Longonot from far and Sasumua dam.
From there awaits a most difficult climb up to the tail. Here, altitude sickness may start to kick in slowly and you have to maintain a slow pace. From the tail, it’s a brisk walk and small climb up to the summit. If you’re looking to challenge your endurance or you are preparing to climb a high mountain, this is the perfect prep hike.
Approximate distance: 18km
Approximate time: 7-9hrs
What to Wear and Carry During Elephant Hill Day Hike:
- Fleece Marvin/hat or a baseball cap
- Proper hiking clothes (polyester t-shirt, hiking pants, fleece jacket)
- Comfortable hiking boots (should be one size bigger than your standard shoe size)
In your Backpack:
- Snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, crisps, etc.
- At least 2 liters of water (use a water bladder or a reusable bottle). Disposable plastic bottles are not allowed inside parks.
- Valid identification document.
- A set of clothes to change into after the hike.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Hiking pole.
- Citizens/residents- Kes.3100
- Non-residents- $85
- Self-drive- Kes.1500
- East African (EA) Citizen: A native East African countries (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo) with valid identification documents or passport.
- Kenyan Resident: A person of another nationality residing in Kenya, and has a valid documentation from the Kenyan government.
N/B: The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) recognizes the three categories using Identity Cards (IDs) and identification documents issued by a government. Ensure you identify yourself with the card you already hold.
What is included:
- Transport to the trail and back.
- Park entry charges for citizens and residents.
- Professional and friendly guides.
- Assorted fruits
N/B: Our package excludes anything else not mentioned above.
Booking Elephant Hill Day Hike:
Book by paying at least Kes.2000 to M-Pesa Buy Goods Till number 9754473 (Hikers Arena Limited) and clear the balance on Friday, June 23, 2023.
Note: Booking closes on Thursday, June 22, 2023. BOOK EARLY!
Meeting point: Opposite outside International House Kencom (Nairobi CBD)
- 4.30 am: Boarding opens
- 4.45 am: Departure for Njabini forest station gate
- 8.00 am: Arrival at Njabini forest station gate
- 8.10 am: Hike starts
- 5.00 pm: Departure for Nairobi
N/B: The departure time is subject to the day’s team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
Observing Convenience for Everyone:
Your food could be the other person’s poison.
- 🚫If you like music while hiking, carry earphones or headphones to listen at your volume and convenience.
🚫Smoking, alcohol and other non-prescribed drugs are not allowed during the hike.
✅While we have a list of what is needed above, we provide an extra liter of water to refill your valves, fruits, and glucose as part of the package. The fruits are clean but you should wash your hands and the fruits too to observe hygiene. Your health is paramount.0
We value you and welcome you to the Arena. See you on the trails.
Readiness Checklist for Elephant Hill Day Hike:
- ✅Wear your boot, especially if you have not for a while, and ascertain that it is still comfortable.
✅Take no vigorous or no exercises later than 2 days before the hike to reserve energy to carry you up the ascent.
✅Hydrate beyond often starting 3 days until the end of the hike.
✅Cut your toenails short for comfort in socks and the boot. When descending, you create a stronger grip, whose effect lasts on the toes. Doing this will make your experience more comfortable and memorable.
✅Ensure you stock your supplies the day before the hike, so we stop only for emergencies.
✅Empty your bowels before leaving in the morning.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If for any reason, you decide to cancel the ticket, the following applies;
- At least one week before the event: 100% refund.
- At least 72hrs to the event: 50% refund.
- Less than 72hrs to the event: No refund.
- No shows: No refund.
Inquiries and Updates;
For inquiries and updates, click here. We also recommend you join the Hikers Arena hiking community WhatsApp group to keep up to date with our activities and upcoming events.
- Mt. Kipipiri Hike
- Jul 08 2023
TimeThe departure time is subject to the day's team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
- All Day