Eburru Forest Hike
Ol Doinyo Eburru (Eburru Forest) hike is an exciting adventure that allows one to explore one of Kenya’s most scenic natural landscapes. Eburru Forest is home to numerous flora and fauna in the Rift Valley Province. The hike takes you through lush forests, making it an ideal destination for nature enthusiasts and hikers. During the hike, you can spot various bird species, such as the African paradise flycatcher and sunbirds. The forest is also home to different mammal species, such as buffalos, bush pigs, and baboons, which visitors could see along the way.
At the summit, you get the beautiful landscapes of Lake Nakuru to the North West, Sleeping Warrior, Lake Elementaita to the North, and lake Naivasha and Mount Longonot to the South East. One of the highlights of the Eburru Forest hike is the opportunity to visit the hot springs, a natural wonder. The hot springs are believed to have medicinal properties and are revered by the local communities. The hike to the hot springs is moderate. However, our hike will not include visiting the hot springs due to time constraints.
Eburru Forest Hike will start at KFS Eburru gate and follow the savanna region near the camping site. We will then hit the trail upwards through the forest toward the summit at an elevation of 2811m ASL.
Approximate distance: 20km
Approximate time: 8 hrs
What to Wear and Carry During Eburru Forest Hike:
- Fleece Marvin/hat or a baseball cap
- Proper hiking clothes (polyester t-shirt, hiking pants, fleece jacket)
- Comfortable hiking boots (should be one size bigger than your standard shoe size)
In your Backpack:
- Snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, crisps, etc.
- At least 2 liters of water (use a water bladder or a reusable bottle). Disposable plastic bottles are not allowed inside parks.
- Valid identification document.
- A set of clothes to change into after the hike.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Hiking pole.
- Citizens/residents- Kes.3000
- Non-residents- Kes 3300
- Self-drive- Kes.1500
- East African (EA) Citizen: A native East African countries (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo) with valid identification documents or passport.
- Kenyan Resident: A person of another nationality residing in Kenya, and has a valid documentation from the Kenyan government.
N/B: The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) recognizes the three categories using Identity Cards (IDs) and identification documents issued by a government. Ensure you identify yourself with the card you already hold.
What is included:
- Transport to the trail and back.
- Park entry charges for citizens and residents.
- Professional and friendly guides.
- Glucose and fruits
N/B: Our package excludes anything else not mentioned above.
Booking Eburru Forest Hike:
Book by paying at least Kes.2000 to M-Pesa Buy Goods Till number 9754473 (Hikers Arena) and clear the balance on Friday, April 21, 2023.
Note: Booking closes on Thursday, April 20, 2023. BOOK EARLY!
Meeting point: Opposite outside International House Kencom (Nairobi CBD)
- 4.45 am: Boarding opens
- 5.00 am: Departure for KWS Eburru station
- 7.45 am: Arrival at KWS Eburru station
- 8.10 am: Hike starts
- 5.00 pm: Departure for Nairobi
N/B: The departure time is subject to the day’s team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
Observing Convenience for Everyone:
Your food could be the other person’s poison.
- 🚫If you like music while hiking, carry earphones or headphones to listen at your volume and convenience.
🚫Smoking, alcohol and other non-prescribed drugs are not allowed during the hike.
✅While we have a list of what is needed above, we provide an extra liter of water to refill your valves, fruits, and glucose as part of the package. The fruits are clean but you should wash your hands and the fruits too to observe hygiene. Your health is paramount.
We value you and welcome you to the Arena. See you on the trails.
Readiness Checklist for Eburru Forest Hike:
- ✅Wear your boot, especially if you have not for a while, and ascertain that it is still comfortable.
✅Take no vigorous or no exercises later than 2 days before the hike to reserve energy to carry you up the ascent.
✅Hydrate beyond often starting 3 days until the end of the hike.
✅Cut your toenails short for comfort in socks and the boot. When descending, you create a stronger grip, whose effect lasts on the toes. Doing this will make your experience more comfortable and memorable.
✅Ensure you stock your supplies the day before the hike, so we stop only for emergencies.
✅Empty your bowels before leaving in the morning.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If for any reason, you decide to cancel the ticket, the following applies;
- At least one week before the event: 100% refund.
- At least 72hrs to the event: 50% refund.
- Less than 72hrs to the event: No refund.
- No shows: No refund.