A Short Story About Rurimeria Upsweep
On your journey to high mountains, there are times when you pause and wonder whether you are ready for the whole journey. However, the wanderer in you tells you it’s two steps up a trail, and then you will be back to rest, only to realize yourself so satisfied at the summit, enjoying the beautiful landscapes and a mountain conquered. Rurimeria Day Hike is located at Geta Shopping Center, Nyandarua County, where the trail begins with a gentle dash before hitting a notoriously steep ascent to the first false summit. A false summit means that after the effort and time taken to complete a short distance that appears way longer, you are exhausted and convinced that this could be the summit. But no. Completing that summit becomes the start of another summit. The journey to the first summit begins gently through a short vegetation cover that, once completed, the rest of the journey gets steep through a rocky region to the moorlands.
Beautiful rock and landscape views start popping close to the first false summit, and you can’t help but immerse in the views. This is where it becomes easy to hand the closest hiker your phone to capture you. At the top of the first peak (they call it the “first pic”), the view of the second peak hits you, and at that breathtaking moment, you could be discouraged by the trail ahead. The second peak is steep, though gentler than the first peak. There is a reduced difficulty as you go up. Up the second peak is another view, encouraging yet discouraging. You have to cover another peak to get to the moorlands, where difficulty ends, and altitude effects could become severe. At the moorlands, you are rejuvenated to complete since the summit is visible. Two last stretches will test your will to summit. The second last one at the moorlands is gentler. The stretch to the tip of the peak is steep and gets challenging when descending. The reward is sitting atop 3860m after beating false peaks and a total of 7km to the summit of the third-highest peak in Aberdares.
Rurimeria Upsweep Stats
Approximate distance: 18km
Approximate time: 9 hrs
Maximum Elevation: 3860m
What to Wear During the Rurimeria Upsweep
- Fleece Marvin/hat or a baseball cap.
- Proper hiking clothes (polyester t-shirt, wind jacket, hiking pants, fleece jacket).
- Comfortable hiking boots (should be at least one size bigger than your standard shoe size).
In the Rurimeria Upsweep Backpack, Have
At least 2 liters of water (use a water bladder or a reusable bottle). Disposable plastic bottles are not allowed inside parks.
- Snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, crisps, etc.
- A valid identification document.
- A hiking pole.
- A raincoat/poncho.
It is Also Advisable to Have
- A set of clothes to change into after the hike (sometimes, the good hiking gear also fails, and weather changes are unexpected; you might also want to change after sweating).
- East Africa Community Citizens/Kenyan Residents (EA)- Kes. 4000
- Rest of Africa Citizens (RA)- Kes. 8610
- International Visitors (IV)- Kes.13320
- East African (EA) Citizen: A native East African country (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo) with valid identification documents or passport.
- Kenyan Resident: A person of another nationality residing in Kenya, with valid documentation from the Kenyan government.
- Rest of Africa Citizens (RA): A national of African countries other than East African countries with a valid passport.
- International Visitors (IV): Hikers other than those from EAC and the rest of African countries.
N/B: The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) and Kenya Forest Service (KFS) recognize the three categories using Identity Cards (IDs) and identification documents issued by the government. Ensure you identify yourself with the card you already hold.
What the Ticket Includes
- Transport to the trail and back.
- Park entry/conservation charges.
- Professional and friendly guides (armed rangers or local guides), ensuring at most eight people have one guide.
- Assorted fruits to recharge.
- Refill water. Carry a refillable bottle. Plastics are not allowed inside parks.
- Skilled first aider within the team.
- A trip souvenir to remember the place and its personal discoveries.
N/B: Our package excludes personal insurance, hiking gear, and anything else not mentioned above.
Booking Rurimeria Upsweep
Reserve a slot by paying at least Kes.2000 to M-Pesa Buy Goods Till number 9754473 (Hikers Arena Limited) by 7th Feb and clear the balance before departure. Ticket Cancellation and refund policy applies.
Meeting point: Opposite outside International House Kencom (Nairobi CBD)
- 4.15 am: Boarding opens
- 4.30 am: Departure for Geta Center
- 8.30 am: Arrival at Mikeu Center
- 8.45 am: Hike Starts
- 5.30 pm: Departure for Nairobi
N/B: The departure time is subject to the day’s team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
Maintaining the Convenience for Everyone
Your ‘food’ could be the other person’s ‘poison’. Therefore;
🚫If you like music while hiking, carry earphones or headphones to listen at your volume and convenience.
🚫Smoking, alcohol, and other non-prescribed drugs are prohibited during the hike.
✅While we have a list of what is needed above, we provide an extra liter of water to refill your valves and fruits as part of the package. The fruits are clean, but you should also wash your hands and the fruits to observe hygiene. Your health is paramount.
We value you and welcome you to the Arena. See you on the trails. See you on Saturday.
✅Wear your boot, especially if you have not for a while, and ascertain that it is still comfortable.
✅Take no vigorous or no exercises later than 2 days before the hike to reserve energy to carry you through the day.
✅Hydrate beyond often starting 3 days until the end of the hike.
✅Cut your toenails short for comfort in socks and the boot. When descending, you create a stronger grip, whose effect lasts on the toes. Doing this will make your experience more comfortable and memorable.
✅Ensure you stock your supplies the day before the hike, so we stop only for emergencies.
✅Empty your bowels before leaving in the morning.
After the Hike
- Engage in post-hike stretching exercises to improve flexibility and prevent muscle tightness. Focus on stretching major muscle groups such as the calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, and hips. Hold each stretch for 15-30 seconds without bouncing.
- Replenish fluids lost during the hike by drinking plenty of water. Proper hydration is essential for muscle recovery and overall well-being. Consider consuming a sports drink or electrolyte-rich fluids to replenish electrolytes lost through sweat.
- Consume a balanced meal or snack within a few hours after your hike. Include protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats to aid muscle recovery and replenish energy stores. Foods like lean meats, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts are good options.
- If you experience muscle soreness or inflammation, apply ice or cold therapy methods such as cold packs or ice baths to reduce swelling and alleviate discomfort.
- Ensure adequate sleep supports your body’s recovery process. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Good sleep is crucial for repairing and rejuvenating your muscles.
- Allow your body sufficient time to rest and recover after a hike. Take it easy for the next couple of days and avoid overexertion. Proper rest is essential for repairing muscles and preventing injury