The Wandare Trek
A Short Story About the Wandare Trek:
The Wandare Trek is another wonder in Aberdares for its choice of behavior at different times. At one time, it will be a go-to for children 12 years and above and an easy trek for any moderate hiker. At another time, it challenges the willpower of the most avid hikers. The Wandare Trek will take us to Mount Satima Summit, where the trail joins the Dragon’s Teeth trail. The Wandare Trek is off the Nyeri-Nyahururu highway inside KWS Wandare Gate. From the Gate, there will be a 15km drive to Wandare Picnic Site, where the hike will begin. We will take the Ole Satima Hiking Trail. The trail ahead will be through the moorlands and open landscapes. You can view far from any point, being the tallest element at most parts. After a 5.8km trek, the trail meets the Dragon’s Teeth trail at Lesatima Summit (4053m). we will take the dragon’s teeth trail for a sunset descent. The first 50m from the summit are slippery, and your trekking pole will be handy for your support. The trail will go through another landscape of mother rocks to the famous Dragon’s Teeth, a perfect place to sit and have a snack., as you breathe the cool mountain air. From here, there are two marshy sections that will require you to test the next step before footing your step. All the way, the rock views will keep you company to Twin Rocks, where the hike ends.
Approximate distance: 15km
Approximate time: 8 hrs
Difficulty: Gently Tough
What to Wear and Carry During the Wandare Trek:
- Fleece Marvin/hat or a baseball cap
- Proper hiking clothes (polyester t-shirt, hiking pants, fleece jacket)
- Comfortable hiking boots (should be one size bigger than your standard shoe size)
In your backpack:
- Snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, crisps, etc.
- At least 2 liters of water (use a water bladder or a reusable bottle). Disposable plastic bottles are not allowed inside parks.
- Valid identification document.
- A set of clothes to change into after the hike.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Hiking pole.
- Citizens (C)/residents (R)- Kes.4100
- Non-residents (NR)- Kes.12900
- East African (EA) Citizen: A native East African countries (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo) with valid identification documents or passport.
- Kenyan Resident: A person of another nationality residing in Kenya, and has a valid documentation from the Kenyan government.
N/B: The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) recognizes the three categories using Identity Cards (IDs) and identification documents issued by a government. Ensure you identify yourself with the card you already hold.
What is included:
- Transport to the trail and back.
- Park entry charges for citizens and residents.
- Professional and friendly guides.
- Assorted fruits
N/B: Our package excludes anything else not mentioned above.
Booking the Wandare Trek:
Book by paying at least Kes.2000 to M-Pesa Buy Goods Till number 9754473 (Hikers Arena Limited) and clear the balance on Friday, November 10, 2023.
Note: BOOK EARLY!
Meeting point: Opposite outside International House Kencom (Nairobi CBD)
- 4.15 am: Boarding opens
- 4.25 am: Departure for Wandare Gate
- 8.00 am: Arrival at Wandare Gate
- 9.00 am: Hike starts
- 5.00 pm: Departure for Nairobi
N/B: The departure time is subject to the day’s team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
Convenience for Everyone:
Your ‘food’ could be the other person’s ‘poison’. Therefore;
🚫If you like music while hiking, carry earphones or headphones to listen at your volume and convenience.
🚫Smoking, alcohol and other non-prescribed drugs are prohibited during the hike.
✅While we have a list of what is needed above, we provide an extra liter of water to refill your valves and fruits as part of the package. The fruits are clean, but you should wash your hands and the fruits too to observe hygiene. Your health is paramount.
We value you and welcome you to the Arena. See you on the trails. See you on Saturday.
✅Wear your boot, especially if you have not for a while, and ascertain that it is still comfortable.
✅Take no vigorous or no exercises later than 2 days before the hike to reserve energy to carry you up the ascent.
✅Hydrate beyond often starting 3 days until the end of the hike.
✅Cut your toenails short for comfort in socks and the boot. When descending, you create a stronger grip, whose effect lasts on the toes. Doing this will make your experience more comfortable and memorable.
✅Ensure you stock your supplies the day before the hike, so we stop only for emergencies.
✅Empty your bowels before leaving in the morning.
- Engage in post-hike stretching exercises to improve flexibility and prevent muscle tightness. Focus on stretching major muscle groups such as the calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, and hips. Hold each stretch for 15-30 seconds without bouncing.
- Replenish fluids lost during the hike by drinking plenty of water. Proper hydration is essential for muscle recovery and overall well-being. Consider consuming a sports drink or electrolyte-rich fluids to replenish electrolytes lost through sweat.
- Consume a balanced meal or snack within a few hours after your hike. Include protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats to aid muscle recovery and replenish energy stores. Foods like lean meats, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts are good options.
- If you experience muscle soreness or inflammation, apply ice or cold therapy methods such as cold packs or ice baths to reduce swelling and alleviate discomfort.
- Ensure adequate sleep supports your body’s recovery process. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Good sleep is crucial for repairing and rejuvenating your muscles.
- Allow your body sufficient time to rest and recover after a hike. Take it easy for the next couple of days and avoid overexertion. Proper rest is essential for repairing muscles and preventing injury.
- Consider getting a massage or using self-massage techniques like foam rolling to relieve muscle tension and improve circulation. Massage can help reduce muscle soreness and promote faster recovery.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If, for any reason, you decide to cancel the ticket, the following applies;
- At least one week before the event: 100% refund.
- At least 72 hours to the event: 50% refund.
- Less than 72 hours to the event: No refund.
- No shows: No refund.
If you decide to postpone your ticket, please notify us at the latest 48 hours before the event. We will carry your ticket to another event. Postponement tickets attract an 8% charge if they must be refunded in the future.
Note: Postponement terms differ from prepayment terms. Prepayment is a loyalty strategy; the ticket fee prepaid in excess is refundable at the end of the calendar at no charge.