The 12 Apostles Ultra Upsweep
A Short Story About the 12 Apostles Ultra Upsweep
The 12 Apostles Adventure is an immersive hike into the vast wilderness in the southern Aberdare Ranges. If you are familiar with Elephant Hill, the 12 Apostles follow the same trail to the last climb to the pinnacle of Elephant Hill and branches to the right as you head to Mount Kinangop. The hike begins at Aberdares Njabini Gate and follows through the forest to the forest gate. It then follows deep inside the bamboo gate, where the steep trail begins. This trail takes you through the tall bamboo trees to the deceiving point of despair (Desperado). This is where you have shed your first flow of sweat, and thinking it is the summit, fine-lined vegetation welcomes you to yet another steep ascent to the elephant’s tail. You can see Mount Kenya in the North East and Sasumwa Dam to the South West when clear. The bamboo region ends after a short stretch past the Desperado, where the rainforest begins, and the exposed rocky region shows. At the tail, the views begin to be more stunning and satisfying. The trek past the tail is gentler across some valleys and the rocky region towards Elephant Hill summit. So far, you have dusted the Elephant Hill challenge.
When the trail branches close to Elephant Hill summit, it follows a steep descent to the base of the other side of Elephant Hill down the Kinangop Valley. The trek has boggy sections from this base towards Mount Kinangop. If it rains, some trails turn into rivulets or rivers based on the rain intensity. Please take rain gear seriously on this trek. Close to the base of the far rear peak of Mount Kinangop, the trail diverts to the 12 Apostles, and the adventure begins. This section to the base of the 12 Apostles has the richest and most beautiful remaining moorlands and is so alive, getting you through rivers and valleys across the 2.5 km to the summit of the 12 Apostles. The 12 Apostles Summit is a series and a staircase of peaks. Getting to the summit is through climbing a steeper rock than that of Kinangop, and feeling like you are done, there is one other peak you have to go through to reach the Eye of the 12 Apostles (A hole under the summit of the 12 apostles). The 12 Apostles summit push is the steepest in the Aberdares and demands your energy and willpower to complete. We have done this before, and it is very manageable for non-beginners.
The 12 Apostles Ultra Upsweep Stats
Approximate Distance: 33km
Approximate time: 14 hrs
Difficulty: Tough (Advanced Hikers Only)
What to Wear During the 12 Apostles Ultra Upsweep
- Fleece Marvin/hat or a baseball cap.
- Proper hiking clothes (polyester t-shirt, wind jacket, hiking pants, fleece jacket).
- Comfortable hiking boots (should be one size bigger than your standard shoe size).
In the 12 Apostles Ultra Upsweep Backpack
- Snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, crisps, etc.
- At least 2 liters of water (use a water bladder or a reusable bottle). Disposable plastic bottles are not allowed inside parks.
- Valid identification document.
- A head torch.
- Hiking pole.
It is also advisable to have:
- A set of clothes to change into after the hike (sometimes, the good hiking gear also fails).
- East Africa Community Citizens/Kenyan Residents (EA)- Kes. 4400
- Rest of Africa Citizens (RA)- Kes. 8610
- International Visitors (IV)- Kes.13320
- East African (EA) Citizen: A native East African country (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo) with valid identification documents or passport.
- Kenyan Resident: A person of another nationality residing in Kenya, with valid documentation from the Kenyan government.
- Rest of Africa Citizens (RA): A national of African countries other than East African countries with a valid passport.
- International Visitors (IV): Hikers other than those from EAC and the rest of African countries.
N/B: The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) and Kenya Forest Service (KFS) recognize the three categories using Identity Cards (IDs) and identification documents issued by the government. Ensure you identify yourself with the card you already hold.
What the Ticket Includes
- Transport to the trail and back.
- Park entry/conservation charges.
- Professional and friendly guides (armed rangers or local guides), ensuring at most eight people have one guide.
- Assorted fruits to recharge.
- Skilled first aider within the team.
- A trip souvenir to remember the place and its personal discoveries.
N/B: Our package excludes personal insurance, hiking gear, and anything else not mentioned above.
Booking the 12 Apostles Ultra Upsweep
Reserve a slot by paying at least Kes.2000 to M-Pesa Buy Goods Till number 9754473 (Hikers Arena Limited) by 6th Mar and clear the balance before departure.
We would love to make it so flexible and bookable on the day before the hike, but we know it could ruin your experience since we may be unable to plan adequately for the hike day. Please book early.
Meeting point: Opposite outside International House Kencom (Nairobi CBD)
- 2.00 am: Boarding opens
- 2.15 am: Departure for Njabini Gate (The departure time is strict)
- 4.15 am: Arrival at Njabini Gate
- 4.30 am: Hike starts
- 12.30 pm: Turn-back time
- 8.00 pm: Departure for Nairobi
N/B: The departure time back to Nairobi is subject to the day’s team and could be earlier or later than estimated. This time, the hike will be governed by time targets. Be sure of your pace.
Maintaining the Convenience for Everyone
Your ‘food’ could be the other person’s ‘poison’. Therefore;
🚫If you like music while hiking, carry earphones or headphones to listen at your volume and convenience.
🚫Smoking, alcohol, and other non-prescribed drugs are prohibited during the hike.
✅While we have a list of what is needed above, we provide an extra liter of water to refill your valves and fruits as part of the package. The fruits are clean, but you should also wash your hands and the fruits to observe hygiene. Your health is paramount.
We value you and welcome you to the Arena. See you on the trails. See you on Saturday.
✅Wear your boot, especially if you have not for a while, and ascertain that it is still comfortable.
✅Take no vigorous or no exercises later than 2 days before the hike to reserve energy to carry you through the day.
✅Hydrate beyond often starting 3 days until the end of the hike.
✅Cut your toenails short for comfort in socks and the boot. When descending, you create a stronger grip, whose effect lasts on the toes. Doing this will make your experience more comfortable and memorable.
✅Ensure you stock your supplies the day before the hike, so we stop only for emergencies.
✅Empty your bowels before leaving in the morning.
After the 12 Apostles Ultra Upsweep
- Engage in post-hike stretching exercises to improve flexibility and prevent muscle tightness. Focus on stretching major muscle groups such as the calves, quadriceps, hamstrings, and hips. Hold each stretch for 15-30 seconds without bouncing.
- Replenish fluids lost during the hike by drinking plenty of water. Proper hydration is essential for muscle recovery and overall well-being. Consider consuming a sports drink or electrolyte-rich fluids to replenish electrolytes lost through sweat.
- Consume a balanced meal or snack within a few hours after your hike. Include protein, carbohydrates, and healthy fats to aid muscle recovery and replenish energy stores. Foods like lean meats, whole grains, fruits, vegetables, and nuts are good options.
- If you experience muscle soreness or inflammation, apply ice or cold therapy methods such as cold packs or ice baths to reduce swelling and alleviate discomfort.
- Ensure adequate sleep supports your body’s recovery process. Aim for 7-9 hours of quality sleep each night. Good sleep is crucial for repairing and rejuvenating your muscles.
- Allow your body sufficient time to rest and recover after a hike. Take it easy for the next couple of days and avoid overexertion. Proper rest is essential for repairing muscles and preventing injury.
Cancellation and Refund Policy
If, for any reason, you decide to cancel the ticket, the following applies;
- At least one week before the event: A 100% refund.
- At least 72 hours before the event: A refund of 50% of the booking fee and 100% of the excess fee.
- Less than 48 hours to the event: The booking deposit will not be refunded. 50% of the rest will be refunded.
- Less than 36 hours to the event: No Refund.
- No shows & latecomers: No refund.
If you decide to postpone your ticket, please notify us at the latest 72 hours before the event. We will carry your ticket to another event.
Inquiries and Updates
For inquiries and updates, click here. We also recommend you join the Hikers Arena Hiking Community Whatsapp Group to keep up to date with our events and Hikers Arena Whatsapp Channel for important and regular hiking tips.