Mount Kinangop Day Trek
Mount Kinangop day trek is your true test for resilience on your journey to big mountains. Standing at 3906m ASL, Mount Kinangop is a stunning peak located in the Aberdare Range of Kenya, known for its challenging day hike that offers breathtaking views of the surrounding landscape and is the second tallest in the Aberdare Ranges. The hike begins at KWS Mutarakwa station and takes you through lush forests, open moorlands, and rocky terrain, providing diverse experiences. The trail winds its way up through the forest, where towering trees and the sounds of wildlife surround you. As you ascend, the vegetation becomes sparser, and the terrain becomes more rugged, with stunning views of the surrounding hills and valleys. As you approach the summit, the trail becomes steeper and more challenging, requiring some scrambling and careful footwork. At the end of the hike, you will congratulate yourself for managing 25km on a challenging trail.
Approximate distance: 25km
Approximate time: 9 hrs
What to Wear and Carry During Mount Kinangop Day Trek:
- Fleece Marvin/hat or a baseball cap
- Proper hiking clothes (polyester t-shirt, hiking pants, fleece jacket)
- Comfortable hiking boots (should be one size bigger than your standard shoe size)
In your backpack:
- Snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, crisps, etc.
- At least 2 liters of water (use a water bladder or a reusable bottle). Disposable plastic bottles are not allowed inside parks.
- Valid identification document.
- A set of clothes to change into after the hike.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Hiking pole.
- Citizens/residents- Kes.3500
- Non-residents- $75
- Self-drive- Kes.1500
- East African (EA) Citizen: A native East African country (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo) with a valid identification document or passport.
- Kenyan Resident: A person of another nationality residing in Kenya with valid documentation from the Kenyan government.
N/B: The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) recognizes the three categories using Identity Cards (IDs) and identification documents issued by the government. Ensure you identify yourself with the document you already hold.
What is included:
- Transport to the trail and back.
- Park entry charges for citizens and residents.
- Professional and friendly guides.
- Assorted fruits
- N/B: Our package excludes anything else not mentioned above.
Booking Mount Kinangop Day Trek:
Book by paying at least Kes.2000 to M-Pesa Buy Goods Till number 9754473 (Hikers Arena Limited) and clear the balance on Friday, November 24, 2023.
Note: Booking closes on Thursday, November 23, 2023. BOOK EARLY!
Meeting point: Opposite outside International House Kencom (Nairobi CBD)
- 4.15 am: Boarding opens
- 4.30 am: Departure for North Kinangop Forest station
- 8.00 am: Arrival at North Kinangop Forest station
- 5.30 pm: Departure for Nairobi
N/B: The departure time is subject to the day’s team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
Convenience for Everyone:
Your food could be the other person’s poison.
🚫If you like music while hiking, carry earphones or headphones to listen at your volume and convenience.
🚫Smoking, alcohol, and other non-prescribed drugs are not allowed during the hike.
✅While we have a list of what is needed above, we provide an extra liter of water to refill your valves, fruits, and glucose as part of the package. The fruits are clean but you should wash your hands and the fruits to observe hygiene. Your health is paramount.
We value you and welcome you to the Arena. See you on the trails. See you on Saturday.
✅Wear your boot, especially if you have not for a while, and ascertain that it is still comfortable.
✅Take no vigorous or no exercises later than 2 days before the hike to reserve energy to carry you up the ascent.
✅Hydrate beyond often, starting 3 days before and until the end of the hike.
✅Cut your toenails short for comfort in socks and the boot. When descending, you create a stronger grip, whose effect lasts on the toes. Doing this will make your experience more comfortable and memorable.
✅Ensure you stock your supplies the day before the hike, so we stop only for emergencies.
✅Empty your bowels before leaving in the morning.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If, for any reason, you decide to cancel the ticket, the following applies;
- At least one week before the event: 100% refund.
- At least 72hrs to the event: 50% refund.
- Less than 72hrs to the event: No refund.
- No shows: No refund.
Inquiries and Updates;
For inquiries and updates, click here. We also recommend you join the Hikers Arena hiking community WhatsApp group to keep up to date with our activities and upcoming events.
- Mackinders Day Hike – Mt. Kenya
- Dec 09 2023
TimeThe departure time is subject to the day's team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
- All Day