Mackinders Day Hike – Mt. Kenya
In your quest for Mt. Kenya, Mackinders hike gives the closest experience. Lying at 4300m ASL, Mackinders Summit has a 595m elevation difference with point Lenana, our ultimate goal for these preparatory hikes. The hike starts at Met Station at 3048m ASL and moves through a thicket region before you begin the trail on the Moorland region.
You will experience beautiful views of the surrounding from a high elevation and the Batian Peak as you approach Teleki Valley. The altitude at Teleki Valley is tough. However, the experience at this zone when approaching the summit is incomparable. While it gets tiresome, your desire for conquest will push you to the Mackinders Camp, the summit.
Mackinders Hike will get you close to the real experience when ascending the Chogoria trail to point Lenana. If you are not yet on the Mt. Kenya budget and want to experience it, Mackinders hike is also the best place.
Approximate distance: 21km
Approximate time: 9 hrs
What to wear and carry:
Fleece marvin/hat or a baseball cap Proper hiking clothes (polyester t-shirt, hiking pants, fleece jacket) Raincoat/poncho Comfortable hiking boots (should be one size bigger than your normal shoe size) Sunscreen
In your backpack:
- Snacks such as biscuits, nuts, fruits, crisps, etc.
- At least 2 liters of water (use a water bladder or a reusable bottle). Disposable plastic bottles are not allowed inside parks.
- Valid identification document.
- A set of clothes to change into after the hike.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Hiking pole.
- Citizens/residents- Kes.3500
- Non-residents- $75
- Self-drive- Kes.1500
- East African (EA) Citizen: A native East African countries (Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, Burundi, South Sudan, and the Democratic Republic of Congo) with valid identification documents or passport.
- Kenyan Resident: A person of another nationality residing in Kenya, and has a valid documentation from the Kenyan government.
N/B: The Kenya Wildlife Service (KWS) recognizes the three categories using Identity Cards (IDs) and identification documents issued by a government. Ensure you identify yourself with the card you already hold.
What is included:
- Transport to the trail and back.
- Park entry charges for citizens and residents.
- Professional and friendly guides.
- Glucose and fruits
- N/B: Our package excludes anything else not mentioned above.
Booking Rurimeria Hike:
Book by paying at least Kes.1400 to M-Pesa Buy Goods Till number 9754473 (Hikers Arena) and clear the balance on Friday, March 3, 2022.
Meeting point: Opposite outside International House Kencom (Nairobi CBD)
- 4.15 am: Boarding opens
- 4.30 am: Departure for Naromoru
- 8.00 am: Arrival at Met Station
- 5.00 pm: Departure for Nairobi
N/B: The departure time is subject to the day’s team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
Cancellation and Refund Policy:
If for any reason, you decide to cancel the ticket, the following applies;
- At least one week before the event: 100% refund.
- At least 72hrs to the event: 50% refund.
- Less than 72hrs to the event: No refund.
- No shows: No refund.
Inquiries and Updates:
For inquiries and updates, click here. We also recommend you join the Hikers Arena hiking community WhatsApp group to keep up to date with our activities and upcoming events.
- Nyanduma Day Hike – Aberdares
- Jun 10 2023
TimeThe departure time is subject to the day's team and could be earlier or later than estimated.
- All Day